This TIPSy is rather short and will be just rule of thumb bullet points.
- Store in cool dark places
- Avoid swings in temperature
- Don’t age beers under 8% ABV
- Delicate flavors and bitterness disappear with time (so avoid aging IPAs)
- Store beer upright, not on its side (and yes, if there is a cork you can store it either way)
- If possibly, get multiples a beer for periodic tastings
- Don’t be greedy, share your prized age beer with friends!
And even though I’ve recommended a limit at 8% ABV, it is kind of flexible when considering sour beers. It should also be said that run of the mill craft beers are not pasteurized and so they usually have a 3-6 month shelf life from time of packaging. Don’t hold on to those beers for too long or they might end up tasting like vinegar.